Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sunday Music: Pete Shelley



Belated Happy Gay Pride Day!

"Homosapien," which was released as a single by the Buzzcocks' Pete Shelley, was banned by the BBC in 1981 for "explicit reference to gay sex." Huh? I need to look at those lyrics, because I missed the explicit sex parts.

And I just hope and pray that the
day of our love is at hand.
You and I, me and you, we will be
one from two, understand?

And the world is so wrong that I
hope that we'll be strong enough,
For we are on our own and the only
thing known is our love.

I don't wanna classify you like
an animal in the zoo,
But it seems good to me to know
that you're Homosapien too

Aside from that controversy, the video includes a wonderful little Commodore PET home computer; state-of-the-art in 1981.

Buzzcocks Official Site [Link]

Commodore PET [Link]

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, come on, honey. Doesn't that telescope suggest *anything* to you?

Thanks for some good, old-fashioned, buttoned-down, skinny-tie fun.

The Fifty Foot Blogger said...

Wait a minute...are telescopes dirty? I just put my eye socket on one of those.

nandorocker said...

Wow. I never knew Pete Shelley had a Gary Numan phase. Maybe it's the big triangle thingy?

The Fifty Foot Blogger said...

I think it was just part of that late 70s po-mo design gestalt: pyramids, lightening bolts and the color teal.